It would be my honor and privilege to guide you on your journey to find yourself outside through my mentoring service.— Holly Scherer
What is Mentoring?
It wasn’t long ago that it took considerable time and effort to learn something new. Whether that meant driving to the library or bookstore, flying to an expensive conference, or attending 12 weeks of classes; learning new skills required a much greater investment.
Then along came the internet and in less than a decade, we had the power to learn anything, from the comfort of our own homes, often for free. That doesn’t guarantee that all of the information is accurate, easy to find, or actionable, but it’s a miracle nonetheless. In theory, we should have everything we need to achieve our dreams and goals.
But tell me if this has ever happened to you. You set a new goal–maybe it’s to start backpacking, woodworking, blogging, or start your own business–and you turn to the internet to learn what you need to get started. You read blogs, watch YouTube videos, maybe even enroll in a course or two and before you know it, you’re three years older and have yet to take action.
I know this story well because I let it play out in my own life too many times. You get so sucked into the research that you start to realize how little you actually know. And then eventually you have so much information you don’t know where to start. You feel burned out, overwhelmed, and hopeless.
The good news is that no matter what you’re trying to do, there’s someone who’s gone before you. There’s someone who took the long detours, made the mistakes, and learned along the way. And if you’re lucky, they may be willing to help you save your time, money, and sanity so you can start taking action today.
These adventurers take on many titles depending on their field and expertise–mentors, coaches, consultants, and guides. But no matter what you call them, they’re here to help you achieve your goals so you can share your unique gifts and talents with the world.
What does a mentor do?
You might be wondering, what a mentor does exactly, and how that differs from a coach or consultant. The titles are often interchangeable and I’ve personally used all three. At the end of the day, it’s not so much about the title, but whether or not the partnership is a good fit for you.
Every coach and mentor has different strengths and skillsets. We also have unique experiences and personalities. So it’s important to find someone that you trust and feels good to you. You can learn more about what I most value as a mentor here.
What to expect when working with me.
Ultimately, you are in charge, leading the way on our journey together. You decide which direction we’re headed. Here are some of the ways I can help you.
- LISTENER: I’ll listen and hold space as you talk through and process your triumphs, challenges, and fears.
- COACH: I’ll help you find clarity by asking questions to uncover the real issues that have been holding you back.
- STRATEGIST: I’ll help you break things down and go deeper so you can focus on the next right thing instead of being overwhelmed by everything.
- ADVISOR: I’ll share the lessons I learned on my own journey so you’ll feel less alone and I’ll help you tailor those lessons to achieve your personal goals.
- CONSULTANT: We’ll work side by side to understand your most urgent needs and create a plan for implementation.
- GUIDE: I’ll help you stay the course by providing accountability and helping you make necessary adjustments as you learn, grow, and change.
- COMPASSION, NONJUDGEMENT, AND CONFIDENTIALITY: I wholeheartedly believe that we’re all on our own unique journies and I value our individual experiences and differences. You can trust that I will treat you and your story with empathy and compassion. I will never share anything from our mentoring sessions unless you ask me to or it’s required for your personal safety or by law.
Why people work with coaches and mentors.
According to research by the International Coaching Federation, the top four reasons people engage with a coach include:
- 64% are looking for help in achieving their goals
- 51% want to feel happier
- 48% are looking to find their purpose
- 44% want to do what they love
People who engage with a personal coach report improvement in several areas:
- 80% showed improved self-confidence
- 73% reported better relationships
- 72% showed improved communication skills
- 70% reported better performance at work
How it works:
Over the years I’ve tried many different structures and packages. I found that there isn’t a one-size-fits-all formula that works for everyone. Thus, I currently offer custom packages built around your individual needs.
If you’re interested in learning more, please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Highlight the goals you are working toward, the level of support you are looking for, and your expectations for our time together. From there we’ll start a conversation to see if working together is a good fit for where you’re at right now.
How can I help you?
Here are some of the best ways I can help you. If you’re looking for something, not on this list, feel free to inquire at email@example.com. I’ll do my best to accommodate you.
- Start your journey to get to know and love your true authentic self.
- Practice courage over comfort by taking baby steps outside your comfort zone.
- Build confidence through consistency and showing up for yourself.
- Find clarity on what matters most to you.
- Create margin to allow more of those important things in your life.
- Learn how to create routines and structure.
- Accountability to help you stay motivated and follow through.
- Support to help you embrace moments of intentional quiet and solitude.
- Learn how to adopt the pace of nature and slow the heck down.
- Nurture meaningful connections with yourself, others, nature, and spirituality.
- Beginners guide to get outside and explore: Learn about camping, backpacking, BWCA, going solo, road trips, travel, planning, budgets, food, and more … And start exploring on your own!
More about my mentoring journey.
If you haven’t already, read my About Page to learn more about how I found myself outside.
For as long as I can remember, I’ve wanted nothing more than to help people reach their full potential. As a young girl, I made workbooks for the neighborhood kids to help them with their school work. As I worked my way through college, I mentored the new servers at the restaurant where I worked. After college, I worked with a women’s group outside of Cuenca, Ecuador to explore new income opportunities. Then I moved on to a 15-year corporate career training, coaching, and consulting in tech and communications. In between my personal and work responsibilities, I taught life skills classes to adults experiencing poverty and homelessness. This lifelong journey has led me here today, helping people like you step outside your comfort zone to find the courage and confidence to be true to you.
I don’t claim to have all the answers. My goal is to help you trust your inner knowing. So consider me your guide, walking with you side by side, rather than an all-knowing guru or sage.
As much as I love empowering people to live better lives through one on one coaching, I’m also passionate about writing. While I love seeing people transform when we work together one on one, I also recognize how many lives can be touched by a single blog post. These are the two priorities I try to balance in my mentoring schedule.
What people are saying:
I was at a low point in my life when I began working with Holly. I quickly learned that I could openly share my struggles. She listened carefully and helped me find solutions without judgment or criticism.
Holly encouraged me to stay the course and keep working toward my goals. She knew that if I stuck with it I would feel better and she was right. I wanted to succeed because she wanted me to. It’s hard to find someone who cares as much about the success of others as Holly does.
Within a few months, I lost weight and improved my relationships with friends and family. I became more confident in my everyday interactions and significantly increased my earnings at work.
Holly is compassionate and genuinely cares about the success of her clients. Her encouragement and enthusiasm were the boosts I needed to get my life back on track. Anyone from an executive in a high-stress environment to a stay-at-home Mom would benefit from working with her.
Still wondering if mentoring is right for you?
It’s important to me that you make the most of your investment. Please feel free to email me with any questions, ideas, requests, or concerns at firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to exploring with you!
Join My Email Community
Sign up for monthly updates and get instant access to my Find Yourself Outside Journal Prompts and start your journey back to your true self today. No charge. No spam. Just love.
Let’s connect on Instagram.